Thursday, 12 January 2017

Main task, ideas and sketches ( 12/01/17 )

This is where I will explain the ideas I have come up with for my magazine, it includes different sketches for the front cover, contents page and double spread article. 

Firstly, I will describe my thought process whilst creating these different sketches of the front cover. At first I created a rough sketch of what the front page will consist off: a heading ( MELODY ), a slogan, what is featured, the headline of the cover story and a barcode and price. This was to give me a rough idea of what will be included and begin to decide where each element will be placed. I want to begin the first element of the magazines house style, by having the image of the artist on the front cover twice, first I want to enlarge and fade the image then place the image in front of the faded version, this is to create this element of the artists past always being in the back of their mind. 
I have chosen the name 'Melody' for the name of my magazine, as it was one of the more common words I found people completing my questionnaire associated with Indie pop. As you can see, in all of my sketches of the front cover I have included the colour green/ turquoise, this is done for two reasons, one reason being that it was one of the colours 16 to 17 year olds associated with indie pop, but I chose green in particular as it is a representation of growth and new beginnings, which the magazine will be known for; it delves into the lives of upcoming artists, artists that are beginning to flourish and grow as an artist and as a person in general. 
As I created these sketches I played about with where each element will be placed, I came to the conclusion that the image of the artist will be placed in the centre of the page; they are the main focus of the edition of the magazine, I will place the name of the magazine at the top of the page as this is a convention of magazines in general. The part that I was indecisive of was where to place what will be featured in the edition, the headline of the cover story, and who will be featured in the edition. In the end I decided to place the cover story to the left of the artist; one reason is because looking at my research it seems like this a common theme, also, the artist on the front cover will be talking about his past a lot in his interview, so the left hand side seems a productive place to put it. I have also decided to place what will be featured in the edition both sides of the artist and who is featured at the bottom, in smaller font to highlight it is not the focal point of the edition. The barcode will be placed very small in the right hand corner of the cover, as this is not an important feature for readers.
Sketch one
Image layout example



Sketch three
Sketch two





















Next, I will go on to the sketches of the contents page. Again, I started out roughly sketching where elements will go, so in the first sketch I have included an area where it will have page numbers and what articles will be featured on these pages on the left. On the right, I will include two images, one being the artist featured on the front, with the headline of the interview, beneath this an image of an music reviewer. At the bottom of the page I have sketched the vinyls that will be at the bottom of the page, this links to the cover story as the artist would have released an album on a vinyl, the image will have one vinyl out of place which will represent how the artist feels in society and how the music he has released will represent this. It can also be interpreted as the song that the music reviewer has ranked first in her review for this months edition.
It becomes more clear that the images will be placed on record discs, to link the whole vinyl theme together, also I am going to photograph the the reviewer with her arm stretched out and palm up, placing the headline of her article on her hand, adding to the house style.
I am indecisive whether to make the heading of the page 'Melody' in large font, beneath this 'Music magazine' and to the left hand side beneath this 'Contents' ( shown in sketch two ) or to headline the page 'MMM' and beneath this 'Melody Music Magazine', and beneath this to the left hand side 'Contents' ( as shown in sketch three ).
Sketch two
Sketch one

Sketch three

Lastly, I will explain the sketches of my double spread article. I start with a rough sketch of the design of the double spread contents page; I will have the masthead as the name of the artist ( Jordan Bruce ), which will go across the two pages at the top. I will then have a long shot of the artist on the right page, at the right hand side, to emphasis the talk of his future, but he will be looking to the left which will also highlight the talk of his past, leading up to his music career now. In the second sketch I added the element of the phrase 'Q&A', as that is how I am going to structure the interview. I also added the feature of a quote from the artist, from the interview, by the artists head. In my sketches, I only included two columns per page, however I will actually have three columns, as this is a convention of magazines.


Sketch one
Sketch two

No comments:

Post a Comment