Whilst producing my front cover I will be uploading images of my progress, explaining my thought processes for each step.
I begun, by making the background turquoise, it is associated with refreshing, calm, spiritual grounding and intuition, I used this because having an upcoming artist on the front cover is 'refreshing' to readers, and also, the artists interview will be about how he found his 'grounding' with his connection to music, and the music he produces is very calm and very much focused on the lyrics. This also all links to the name of the magazine - Melody - which is considered calming, but is also what makes up music in general; it is a musical composition made up of single notes. I chose white as the colour for the heading as it symbolizes purity, which is what the music in the magazine will focus on; new and untouched or covered music, it can also represent a 'blank canvas' in which these new artists are beginning with, as they are making a name and reputation for themselves. In smaller writing beneath, to the right hand side, I included the phrase 'Music magazine', just to highlight that the magazine will be based around music, also I will later refer to the magazine as MMM in the contents page, which will be catchy for customers, allowing the magazine to be memorable.
When it came to the images, I used the two images I referred to in my photoshoot ideas post. I started by using the same image to be enlarged and in front, I did this with both images ( Option 1 and 2 ), however I believed that the images would have a much deeper and understandable meaning if I were to use both of the images on the front cover. So I enlarged the second image, decreased the opacity to create this ghost like effect, I placed both the faded image and the image in front, in the middle of the page, to emphasize that this artist is the main focus of the magazines edition ( Option 3 ), however the fact that only one of the eyes of the faded image was seen, did not give the meaning I was hoping for and did not fit well with the image in front. Considering this, I moved the enlarged and faded image to the right slightly ( Option 4 ), so the majority of the face could be seen, this really captures the facial expressions of the image behind, compared to the image in front, which represents the difference between his past and present self. The enlarged and faded image is to represent the artists past, which he cant escape, and the front his present self, revealing his past through adjusting his strap, this is because the artist will reveal his past through his album and talking to the magazine in the interview. I had the artist wear dungarees as this is associated with children, and this is to emphasize a part of his personality, and highlight he will always return to his childhood hometown, which he refers to in one of the songs from his album. I also edited the faded image, by stamping out the dungarees, if I had kept these on the artist it would suggest that the artist has not changed from his past to now.
 |
| Option 1 |
 |
| Option 2 |
 |
| Option 3 |
 |
| Option 4 - Chosen option |
I then began to add the headline of the cover story. I headlined the story 'Jordan Bruce', the name of the artist, because this is a convention of music magazine cover story headlines. I then went onto the rest of the headline, which is 'After Dancing with the Devil, this new indie artist tells us about his City Sights' I used this, as it allowed me to incorporate the names of two of the songs in his album, and also gives some insight into what the article will be about. I used two grey rectangles behind the text, this is not only to highlight the text, but to show that the article will cover any 'grey areas' the readers have about the artist, as he will be revealing information people will be wanting to know about his album. There is a common theme with magazines of using yellow and red to emphasize important information, this is why I used a red rectangle and yellow font of 'Exclusive'. I placed this text, near the bottom, so the text is not covering the artists face, and on the left to show he will be talking about his past. This is also a common place magazines allocate the cover story headline.
 |
| Cover story headline added |
UPDATE: I have added a barcode, along with the names of artists that will feature in my magazine, in alternating colours of turquoise ( following the colour scheme ), and pink, which is due to the fact this was a colour associated with indie pop. I adapted this element with inspiration from Q magazine who in an edition of its magazine had names at the bottom of the page. I am going change some names on the bottom, as they will be mentioned or are mentioned already on the front cover ( i.e. Jordan Bruce ), and in a majority of music magazines artists are only really mentioned once on the front cover.
In addition, I have added two featured article headlines to the front cover. I started by adding in white, following the theme of pure and untouched music, 'TOP 10 indie singles of this month according to melody's music reviewer' which is in slightly smaller font than the cover story headline, this is because this will be there 2nd most important article in the magazine and is a recurring theme for the magazine which the consumers will look forward to, I found this evident through my questionnaire which showed that a music review would be a element most 16/17 year old's would like in a music magazine. I did not use the same font for all of the headline, apart from 'indie singles' which is in the same font has the cover story headline, this is because there is a link between these two articles as they are both going to be based around new indie pop music. I then added the second featured headline: 'FREE download your own copy of Vance joys new single', I have chosen to include a free copy of a single as a lot of those who completed the questionnaire said they would want a free CD, however when looking at the age bracket, these people are 16-17 year old's who most probably would not own a CD player, hence why this copy will be an online copy, which consumers can download on a smart phone or any device through iTunes using a code the magazine will provide. This is in the same font as the 'of this month according to melody's music reviewer', this is because this is not a big piece of information for the magazine, it only explains what is 'FREE', which is the same for the 'according to...' element which only explains briefly about the article, also by using the same font, it carries on a theme of the style of the magazine which will ensure it doesn't look messy, but not formal at the same time. I also had the word 'FREE!' in yellow font on top of a red block, to emphasize it's importance like the cover story.
In addition to this, I altered the font of the cover story headline, by changing 'Dancing with the devil' and 'City sights' to an alternate font, which almost reflects someones handwriting, this is to highlight that these two phrases are the names of the two songs mentioned in the artists interview, and allow for some way for the consumers to relate to the article and artist, by using a more informal font.
 |
| Headline one added |
 |
| Headline two added. |
No comments:
Post a Comment