Wednesday, 19 April 2017

Main task, evaluation: Q4 and Q5 ( 19/04/17 )

4) Who would be the audience for your media product? AND 5) How did you attract/address your audience?

I am going to answer questions 4 and 5 in this post, as they both connect to the concept of the audience. 

My magazine, would be read by 15-25 year olds, and of a C1 culture, and although young people are typically of a D or E class, because of their parents they will share the same values, automatically classing them as C1.

My magazine will be consumed by 15-20 year olds.This is because I had gathered information about what 16-18 year olds, who read magazines and/or listen to music, would prefer and expect in an Indie Pop / Rock music magazine, in a questionnaire during my research, which is what I based the design and content of my product on. I believe the age range would be broader than 16-18 year olds, because by putting images of my magazine on Instagram and sent through WhatsApp, I gained feedback from a variety of ages, including 15, 19, 17, 16 and 20 year olds, whom all provided, mostly, positive feedback. This also explains how I attracted the audience, as I placed images of my magazine on social media, which is used by the younger generation, so will be noticed more by them than if it were placed on, say, a poster, as this audience is stereotypically ‘glued’ to their phones and any form of social media, compared to an older generation. 
This along with the type of artists featured; young and upcoming, who are ambitious to peruse a career, which would be an inspiration to the younger generation whom are beginning to starting to work towards their career. Additionally, like I mentioned briefly in the first question, I did not include a ‘free CD’ because a target audience of this young, a CD would not be appropriate as, like I said, young people are glued to their phones, and CD players are becoming less and less common as generations pass, therefore, by not including this feature I can attract my target audience.
However, some people may say that the audience would be of the older generation, this is because of the feature of vinyl’s, that is mentioned throughout the magazine; on the contents page in terms of images and on the double spread article where it is mentioned that the artist is releasing a vinyl version of their album. 

But it is becoming apparent that vinyl’s and turntables are ‘coming back in fashion’, in particular within the genre I am addressing in my magazine; Indie pop, as artists like Oh Wonder, Fleetwood Mac and even Harry Styles, whose new album is being compared to the likes of David Bowie, release and are releasing vinyl versions of their albums and singles. So, the concept of the vinyl’s is directed towards the fans of Indie Pop/ Rock, and a way to attract that niche audience of my magazine.
In terms of demographics, the audience would fall under C1, this is due of many reasons. 

One being the fact that they will be able to afford a monthly subscription of the magazine. Additionally, there is the concept of the photography and the arrangement of these photos that draws in a C1 class audience, in particular the meaning behind the front cover images, which I explored during the progress of my front cover post, this would be understood and inferred more by people within this class due to their stereotypically wider culture; as typically, it has been said that a higher class means a wider education. 

The images in general are very professionally took, compared to say the photography of television magazines and newspapers (which lower classes would more likely read), which again, would attract a C1 audience. Lastly, people within C1, would be less likely to speak in slang, compared to a D or an E class, this is why I did not use slang in my magazine, but just slight informal language. This is to attract the C1 audience, by using words they may use.

Therefore, my audience would be 15-25 year olds in the C1 class, who listen to Indie Pop/ Rock, and I used different photography and social media means to attract this audience, as well as include aspects from the genre of music, to really draw in this niche market.

No comments:

Post a Comment